Enzymes are specialised protein molecules found in all living cells. They accelerate and regulate all biochemical reactions that occur in the human body. An enzyme itself does not change during a reaction but acts as a catalyst by changing one compound (known as the “substrate”) into another (known as the “product”). Enzymes also play a key role in digestion. They break down proteins, carbohydrates and fats enabling us to benefit from the nutrients found in these foods, while removing the toxins. Enzymes turn the food we eat in energy.
There are many types of enzymes, and each type has a specific function. Digestive enzymes (one of the main groups of enzymes found in the body) are secreted along the digestive tract to break down food into nutrients and waste. This allows nutrients to be absorbed into the blood stream and waste products to be discarded. Digestive enzymes include:
- Proteases/Peptidases – these break down proteins/peptides.
- Amylases (or Carbohydrases) – these break down large carbohydrate chains.
- Lipases – these break down triglyceride fats.
Proteins are broken down to peptides and amino acids, carbohydrates down to sugars and triglycerides to fatty acids, via the breaking of specific chemical bonds within the compound.
Digestive enzymes are produced naturally within the body throughout life. But unfortunately there are many people whose enzyme stores become depleted for one reason or another. This can mean they are not digesting their food optimally and therefore are not breaking down and absorbing nutrients optimally. This will usually lead to digestive issues such as bloating, indigestion and constipation, among many other things. The digestive tract is the basic source of nourishment for every cell in the body.
Fortunately, your natural enzymes can be given a boost by taking a high-quality dietary enzyme supplement with your meals. There are currently many products available, each varying in function and quality, so it is vital you do some research before taking just any old dietary enzyme support supplement. At Kingsway Compounding we stock the range of enzymes from Houston Enzymes ®. Their digestive enzyme blends are more specific for the individual symptom/condition. In fact such specialised formulas are not seen in any other digestive support supplements currently available in the Australian market.
Most dietary enzyme supplements are derived from plants such as papaya, pineapple, and Aspergillus fungi. The enzymes derived from Aspergillus have been purified from the fungal matter using from 8 to 12 different methods of purification. No fungal matter is present in these enzyme products. These plant enzymes are stable in acidic conditions, and begin to break down food while it is still in the stomach. Houston enzymes do not contain any enzyme derived from porcine or other animals and have no adverse effect on pancreatic function.
Our Houston Enzymes® range includes the following supplements:
- AFP Peptizyde – For those individuals following a gluten-free and/or casein-free diet. This is a concentrated formula designed specifically to digest gluten, casein and soy proteins. It is high in DPP IV (dipeptidyl peptidase IV), the only enzyme known to break down casomorphin and gluteomorphin. It contains no fruit derived enzymes, has no odour or taste, and is a safe formula with no toxicity demonstrated at any dosing level.
- Zyme Prime™ – For those individuals who suffer from gas and bloating, loose stools, low weight, are picky eaters and/or crave carbohydrates. This formula is targeted for carbohydrate and fat digestion. It also contains protease for proteins, lactase for dairy lactose, amylase and other carbohydrases for better starch digestion and lipase to help aid in digestion of triglyceride fats. It tends to firms up stools and is papain/bromelain free.
- No-Fenol – For those individuals who suffer from red cheeks and ears after eating certain fruits, or have dark circles under the eyes. This formula helps the digestion of fruits and vegetables without the problems associated with polyphenolic compounds. It may help with tolerance to phenolic foods such as tomatoes, apples, grapes, berries and citrus. In some cases, tolerance to artificial colouring and flavours is also increased. This supplement is able to break down plant fiber and promote a suitable environment for the growth of helpful bacteria.
- TriEnza™ – For those individuals with food related intolerances. This is a broad spectrum formula; an economical combination of the best enzymes. It is a combination of AFP Peptizyde, Zyme Prime™ and No-Fenol.
As with any supplement, results can vary with each individual and there is always the exception. However, most individuals can use the above as a guide for starting enzymes. For more details on how these products may benefit you please feel free to give us a call 1300 564 799 or go directly to our website store.